Super-Telephoto, Super Versatile
Combining reach, speed, and versatility, the NIKKOR Z 600mm f/4 TC VR S, from Nikon is a super-telephoto prime built for the rigors of sports and wildlife photography. Characterized by its long focal length and bright f/4 design, along with speedy AF and robust VR, this lens further distinguishes itself with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter that permits near-instant switching to an effective 840mm f/5.6 for even greater reach when needed.
Built-In 1.4x Teleconverter
- Built-in 1.4x teleconverter allows you to instantly extend your reach to 840mm simply by flipping the right-hand switch.
- Since the teleconverter is integrated within the lens housing, it is optically matched to the lens for improved imaging performance and also fully maintains the lens's weather sealing.
- Integrated design also reduces the likelihood of attracting dust or dirt to optical or sensor services and saves time when changing between focal lengths.
- When the teleconverter is in use, this 600mm f/4 becomes an effective 840mm f/5.6 lens
- Fast f/4 maximum aperture excels in available lighting conditions and also benefits controlling depth of field to separate and isolate subjects from a busy background.
- Helping to virtually eliminate chromatic aberrations, color fringing, and comatic aberrations, this lens features two ED (extra-low dispersion) and one Super ED glass elements, two lightweight fluorite elements, and an SR (short-wavelength refractive) element.
- The SR element features a specialized high-dispersion design that refracts wavelengths shorter than blue; this helps achieve truly accurate color rendering and also aids in making the lens design more compact.
Refined Anti-Glare Coatings
- Newly developed Meso Amorphous Coat offers the the greatest anti-reflective performance from a NIKKOR lens, and outperforms the Nano Crystal Coat in regard to diagonal incident light and matches the performance of the ARNEO Coat for vertical incident light.
- ARNEO and Nano Crystal Coats are still applied for even more well-rounded anti-glare protection from all angles, and help to suppress ghosting, reflections, and flare for higher contrast and more accurate color response when working in strong lighting and backlit conditions.
Silky Swift VCM Autofocus
- Silky Swift Voice Coil Motor (VCM) uses magnets instead of gears to move the focusing groups at higher initials speeds and with greater accuracy and smoothness. A guide bar is also employed, which helps reduce focusing vibrations for greater continuous focusing speeds. (WARNING: Do not use this product if you have a pacemaker or other medical device. The magnet or magnets in this product could cause medical devices to malfunction.)
- Using a high-precision sensor from the robotics industry, this lens features an optical ABS (absolute) encoder to detect and communicate lens position information with extreme accuracy to optimized fast and accurate AF performance.
- Benefitting video use, the Silky Swift VCM is also especially quiet and the multi-focusing system also greatly reduces focus breathing for greater compositional accuracy when racking focus.
- Full-time manual focus override is also possible and an internal focusing design is used, where only the internal lens groups are moved during focusing, to maintain the overall length of the lens during use and to promote faster focusing speeds.
- Vibration Reduction image stabilization reduces the appearance of camera shake by approximately 5 stops to better enable handheld shooting in low-light situations.
- Synchro VR is also supported when paired with compatible cameras featuring sensor-shift VR, which combines in-body VR with optical VR for an improved performance and 5.5 stops of shake control.
Professional Durability and Intuitive Handling
- Updated design weighs 7.2 lb, making it 14% lighter than the F-mount 600mm f/4—and this Z-mount version features an built-in teleconverter.
- Physical design focuses the center of gravity around the tripod mount for smoother, more responsive panning, especially when working atop a tripod or monopod. The tripod mount also rotates for easier switching between vertical and horizontal shooting orientations.
- Advanced weather sealing incorporates rubber gaskets to prevent dust and moisture ingress, the lens body is made from lightweight and durable magnesium alloy, and the front and rear elements have a fluorine coating that easily repels dirt, moisture, and oils and is easier to clean.
- Compatible with optional Z-Teleconverter TC-1.4x and TC-2x to further extend the reach of this lens.
- Intuitive "no-look" control layout puts all of the frequently-used buttons and dials in easy-to-reach locations to prevent the need to move your eye from the viewfinder.
- Store a focusing position using the Memory Set button so you can instantly return to this by position by rotating the Fn ring—perfect for capturing fleeting movements.
- Customizable L-Fn buttons can be set to configure subject tracking, AF lock, image playback, or other modes. The L-Fn2 button is also accessible from four different locations on the barrel for easy reach.
- Programmable Control Ring can also be used to control aperture, ISO, or exposure compensation.
- Kensington lock support for securing the lens in place during remote shooting sessions.